Beneath the Surface 2019 Residency and Touring Exhibition
Application Due Date: Friday November 16th by midnight
Craft NB and Fundy National Park ( FNP ) are pleased to host the second iteration of Beneath the Surface, a 5-day artist residency in the park resulting in a professionally curated provincial touring exhibition. The exhibition will feature new works developed by the participating residency artists based on their time in the Park. The exhibition will open in fall 2019 and tour throughout the winter 2020.
Beneath the Surface is a residency program which takes place in Fundy National Park. In early June, a group of 15-20 artists will explore FNP with the guidance of park interpreters and scientists and take part in creative workshops throughout the week led by visiting artists. The residency will promote the cross-pollination of ideas as artists spend time with each other, while picking the brains of scientists and interpreters. The result is a unique connection with the land, a powerful creative stimulus, and meaningful artistic growth.
The group will meet again twice post-residency to talk about the works in progress and create artist statements, with the final pieces being delivered to Craft NB by mid-August.
We are seeking a passionate and driven individual who has past curatorial or significantly relevant experience. The curator’s responsibilities include:
- Participate with the selection committee in choosing the 20 participating artists
- Attend the residency, if possible
- Check in with artists after the residency, during the summer 2019
- Attend and help lead summer group meetings (there will be 2)
- Compile and edit artist statements
- Aid in photography selection
- Be available for media interviews
- Design exhibition layout for each venue (3-4)
- Aid in the installation and transportation of work to and from each gallery
- Provide an opening speech at each opening
- Assist with tear-down and transport of pieces from one location to the next
- Provide information for the written report
- Write a curatorial essay to introduce the exhibition
The curator will receive a fee of $2000.
To apply for this position please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Artist/ Curator statement or Bio-profile
- Brief statement (of 350 words or less) on why you’re interested in curating an exhibition based on this residency in Fundy National Park.