IT PAYS TO BE A MEMBER
Joining Craft NB entitles you to participate in the cultural heritage of our province at a fundamental level. You will become a part of a lively community of professional craftspeople and craft enthusiasts and have the opportunity to participate and engage in the events, exhibitions, workshops and information sources. By joining Craft NB you can take advantage of many membership benefits including discounts and passes, a health insurance plan designed specifically for artists, advice on funding opportunities, input on future programs and workshops, and access to various provincial, national and international opportunities.
WHEN YOU’RE A MEMBER YOU JOIN
As a professional craftsperson,
- you join the only organisation in the province which upholds high standards of quality in all craft disciplines.
- Your work enjoys credibility and recognition by the public that you have achieved something meaningful in the acquisition of your skills.
- As a Market Member you have earned the right to
- submit to our exhibitions and gallery presentations,
- be profiled on our web site,
- participate in our festivals and marketing promotions,
- and stand beside your peers in an esteemed professional association.
Always know what you’ll pay.
Anyone can hold this membership and no jurying is required. This membership is an ideal way to show your support to the craft community and to stay connected to Craft NB as a supporter or non-practicing crafts person. Previously juried members may choose this category in order to maintain their juried status while their practice is on hiatus. For juried members who wish to participate in Craft NB festivals and exhibitions, a juried membership is required.
- Monthly E-Newsletter
- Free admission for you plus one guest at CNB festivals
- Invitations to exhibition openings, artist talks and other special events
- Discounts on : workshops, fundraisers, conferences and other activities
- Group rates, including access to a health insurance plan
- One vote at the AGM
- Opportunity to stand for nomination to the Board of Directors
- Opportunity to participate on committees
- Volunteer opportunities
Designed for professional craftspeople who have passed jurying with Craft NB or another provincial Crafts Council and who wish to participate in CNB marketing initiatives, festivals, exhibitions, residencies, etc.
All the General Membership benefits plus :
- Invitation to participate in fine craft festivals, exhibitions and competitions
- Extended web site profile, where you can upload current work, an artist bio and connect and drive traffic to your existing website, social media profiles, online store, etc.
- Referrals to associations, gallery owners and show managers, national craft publications, individual and corporate customers, international collectors and wholesale and retail buyers
- Subscription to Studio Magazine (published twice a year and sent to your door)
- A yearly membership package that includes promotional materials, a membership card, signage indicating that you are a juried CNB member, and CNB swag
- Public recognition that you belong to a professional organisation that recognizes a high standard in fine craft
EMERGING ARTISAN MEMBER
Designed for emerging artisans looking for mentorship in preparing for the jurying process and life as a professional craftsperson. Spaces are limited and require an application.
All of the General Membership benefits plus :
- 6 coffee dates with our professional members and staff. These coffee dates are an opportunity for you to connect with our community and to ask advice from those who are experienced in areas you seek more knowledge. For example if you want help with booth display, we will set you up with those who are skilled in this area. Want sound marketing feedback? A knowledgeable eye to critic your work? Help deciding on which residencies to apply for? Our membership and staff are friendly, approachable, and willing to help! Bring your work (or images of your work) on these one-on-one coffee dates and ask as many questions as you have of those who have been living and breathing craft for decades.
*All Memberships expire at the end of each calendar year*
Learn more about the jurying standards
Apply for Jury Status
Frequently asked questions
When are the jury sessions?
The jury session are held twice a year, first week of May and first week of October.
When will I receive my membership package?
The membership packages are given at the Annual General Meeting and sent out to the ones who were not able to attend.
Can I sell my work at your craft festivals?
In order to participate in any of our craft festivals, residencies or exhibitions you must be a Market Member of Craft NB. In order to hold this status your work must be assessed by a jury of professional artists. These juries take place twice a year, once at the beginning of May, and once at the beginning of October. Please look here for information on the jurying process.
How do I know if my work is good enough to pass the jurying?
In order to have your work considered by a jury it must be hand made by you and it must meet the standards laid out in this document. If you do not feel your work fits into a category listed here, please give the office a call and talk it over. We are currently working on upgrading and expanding our standards, so we welcome new products and materials not traditionally classified as ‘craft’.
Where can I buy locally made craft?
There are a variety of galleries and shops in New Brunswick that carry the work of our membership. Please check individual profiles to see where you can find their work. A few times a year we gather many of our artists together to sell to the public at our craft festivals. Please check here to find the dates and locations of these fun-filled events.
If you are a craft retailer and are looking to wholesale high quality handmade items, we suggest you check out the Atlantic Craft and Trade Show that takes place in Halifax each year. Craft NB, and many of its members, attend this event each February.
How can I get involved?
It’s easy to get involved with the Craft NB community. We’re a friendly bunch and openly welcome craft enthusiasts, as well as makers, into our network. In order to run our programming we are always in need of friendly, reliable volunteers for a variety of different tasks. If you want to be involved, sit on a committee, help at a craft festival, offer expertise in constructing displays, move exhibitions, etc, please get in touch. We’d love to hear from you and welcome your involvement!
How can I support the work of Craft NB?
If volunteering doesn’t fit into your schedule but you still want to be a part of the community and help us out, we encourage you to sign up for a general membership or donate to Craft NB. As a small non-profit, we appreciate any financial contribution you are willing to provide. All donations support an important and exciting sector and help local artists thrive and create work that represents New Brunswick and the rich culture of Atlantic Canada. To donate call the office.
If you have any questions at all we encourage you to call or email our office and speak to one of our knowledgeable and friendly staff. We will do our best to answer questions, offer guidance, and connect you to New Brunswick makers.